Friday, November 11, 2005

Ten weeks down... three to go

Well, technically this week ended yesterday because today's a holiday. It's weird how fast this term's going by. Only three weeks of classes?? That's insanity. Things are coming along pretty well though. I'm working on my sports law paper and actually getting some research done for a change. Not much else to say about school at this point...

But I do have some complaints about other things. I got my laptop back yesterday. I took it in to get the area around the fan cleaned because apparently a dust build up was making it really loud. And I also told them about a problem I've been having since I got it.... when it comes out of hibernation the sound doesn't work. As in no sound at all. If I make the computer go back into hibernation the sound usually works again when it comes out the second time. I've learned to deal with it over the last 15 months but when I stop and think about it it's actually pretty annoying. So I took it into a computer repair place yesterday to get it serviced and I told them what the problems were.

Do you ever get the feeling when you're explaining problems to people that they're nodding and understanding just a little too quickly? I had that feeling with the sound problem... I explained it twice on Tuesday when I went in to book the apointment and it just felt like they weren't really getting it. So when I went back to drop it off on Thursday I was all "you understand the sound problem right?" And they apparently totally understood it.

So... Thursday night... I went back to pick it up and brought it home. The fan? Still noisy. The sound problem? Definately NOT fixed at all. Oh and now, when the computer goes into hibernation or comes out of hibernation it makes a loud beeping sound that will be sure to solicit dirty looks in the library. Thinking that new sound was strange, I looked at the invoice they gave me. Sure enough, under problem it says: "When it comes out of sleep mode there is no sound, but eventually comes on." Then under the work performed section it says: "Enabled alarm sound (when computer going to sleep mode and when returns) in computer setup." So that's it. For some reason, even though I explained the problem thrice, they thought I was paying seventy bucks to enable an abnoxious alarm sound when my computer comes out of hibernation. Perfect.

The worst thing about getting computers fixed is being without them. Now I have to find another day where I can be without it all day next week. Okay well enough complaining about that. I also have a fairly major complaint to make about a pizza place here in Vancouver called Martini's but I'll save that til next time. For now, just know that they suck badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home