Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A big blogging gap...

It's been one of those weeks and with everything going on I haven't had time to bitch about it all. But now I've found a couple of spare minutes so here it comes...

My week took a turn for the unexpected on Monday morning. My brother, who with his wife and kids had been staying at my parents' place while they're away, phoned and told me that they weren't staying there anymore. So... to make a long boring story short and boring... an hour later I was on the freeway heading for Abbotsford and I'll be staying at my parents' place till they get home on Thursday. Which really isn't that bad. Well, not that bad except for the 55 mile drive to class. But hey, it's only for a couple days and I figure I owe my parents for a couple things over the years. And the dog needed some company. And maybe I did too...

So yeah, staying at my parents' place has reminded me how much I hate... no.... that's not the word I want... how much I detest commuting. Yesterday morning I had to wait for twenty minutes to get onto the Port Mann Bridge, which I was ready for because it always takes a long time to get onto that stupid bridge. After the bridge though, I thought I'd get all the way into the city without any more backups. Wrong. Traffic came to a stop again after the bridge and crawled along for about fifteen minutes until we came upon a car stalled on the road with its hood up. In the fast lane. Okay, now I might be wrong about this, and I don't know the details of how he came to find himself stranded there in the fast lane. But I have to wonder why, when the car started to lose power, he didn't either maneuver himself onto the right side of the road or the left side, because there was a big shoulder in both places. Granted if he went to the right he'd have to cross a regular freeway lane and that might be dangerous if he was stalling. But the HOV lane is almost completely vancant, so why did he just gradually come to a stop right there in the middle of the fast lane?! Maybe traffic was already backed up so he wasn't moving when it happened? The backup seemed to be because of him though because the second we got past him everybody sped way up. I guess we'll never know. And I guess I don't care that much now that it's over. But at the time I was... somewhat emotional.

And I was late for my meeting. But not that late. So we met, and then I ate, and then I studied in the library for the afernoon before going to sports law. I was going to write a blog entry there, but there aren't extra power outlets in that room and the presentation group for the day was using four of them for A/V equipment and their laptops. I was still going to write a blog entry on battery power because it lasts for about ninety minutes (which sucks), but then the professor came in and sat right beside me, which pretty much killed any lingering thoughts of blog entries.

Last night it was pretty stormy on the drive back to the valley. I mean, it wasn't Gulf Coast stormy or anything like that, but the wind was blowing and there was a lot of rain coming down. As I sat there in my parents' Caravan listening to the Bee Gees on the radio I started thinking about the amount of work I still have to do this term. I had a group presentation in negotiation today and I used the drive home last night to plan it out. Which was great because it took me two hours to get there (thanks to a couple of downed trees). Also Darren was coming over to watch TV and eat, and Ali was coming over to do laundry, so I knew I wouldn't get any studying done last night.

And I didn't. What I did do was go to Walmart with Darren and buy up a bunch of Halloween candy for my negotiation class. There's only fourteen people in the class and chocolate, I figured, is a good bribe. After that we watched TV and sat around talking when Ali got there. Well, Ali and I talked... Darren passed out in the chair, then on the sofa, then on the other sofa, and finally went to bed. I think he's got a sleeping disorder. But Ali and I had a good time, and she brought Gen over too. They're going to Mexico (Ali and Gen) next Wednesday and they're not coming back till Christmas Day. Lucky. I would give anything to be on my way to Mexico till Christmas. Well, maybe not everything, but I'd give lots. So after she left around midnight I finally went to bed. I had to get up early so I didn't get enough sleep. But... somehow... I rolled out of bed and left for class this morning...

Which I didn't make it to because I didn't give myself enough time to get there. One thing I have to work on is giving myself enough time to get places. I had to stop at my place, which is only 15 minutes from UBC, to pick up my tax law textbook, and I figured that because I was already missing class I might as well just have a nap. So... an hour and a half later I left my place and finally made it to school.

Today, so far, hasn't been a major problem. My presentation in negotiation went well, but I forgot to hand out the chocolate. Too bad... now it's sitting in my bag and it wants me to eat it. It's calling out to me. But I'm strong. No I'm not. I'll probably eat it. Which I shouldn't be doing because last night was kind of a disaster as far as food goes. Darren and I "accidentally" bought too much candy at Walmart and were forced to eat it. Then for dinner I had hotdogs because I was just too tired and lazy to make anything else. Fat free hotdogs, but still...

And I haven't been to the gym this week at all. I hate having that particular brand of guilt hanging over my head when I'm trying to get everything else done, but I knew when I decided to stay in Abbotsford this week that going to the gym was probably out of the question. But there's always next week right? My parents will be home tomorrow and then life will get back to normal, or as close to normal as it gets.

I don't think I complained enough in this entry. I started out with big plans for complaining about a lot of different things but it didn't really happen. Well, it is what it is. Anyway, here's some random crap I wanted to throw out there:

The list of 76 things I like is in progress. I'm finding this one harder. Is that a bad sign? Invasion, a new show Wednesday nights on ABC, is really good. I want to go somewhere hot. I think the more handouts you accept from someone, the less entitled you should feel to complain about them. I saw a clip of Acid House in negotiation today so now I want to rent it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home