Sunday, October 02, 2005

Triumph and tragedy...

It's all done. The stupid part is that I tried to tell you that last night. I wrote an entry and when I hit "publish post" I got an error message. I knew there was no use, but I hit the back button. It returned me to the blog entry page, and the title was still there, but the text was gone. Stupid Blogger... so from now on I'm going to copy and paste to a word document before I publish. It's a good thing the post was relatively short...

Okay so I have a sports law topic: NCAA amateur athlete eligibility rules. And I have a negotiation topic: Illegal strikes and their impact on contract negotiations. The topics are a little more involved than that, but describing them would constitute cruel and unusual punishment on my reading audience. Coming to this site isn't supposed to be punishment, even though sometimes it might feel like it.

So next week is looking good. I've got everything finished that's due, with the execption of one little thesis statement for my Charter research that's already been approved. One thing the prof wasn't clear on though: Does she want me to cite the cases I'm basing my thesis on? Because if she does, that pretty much rules out making a wild claim and then finding the evidence to back up that claim after the fact. This request of hers was pretty informal and I know we don't have to cite sources on the research proposal itself. The answer to the question, or how I decide that it should be answered, will drastically alter the amount of time I spend on this. Citing cases on the proposal will take way too long, and I think my wild claim approach is better lawyer practice anyway. In practice we won't be able to choose our clients based on what cases will be easiest to win; we'll have to search for evidence to back up our clients' points of view based on the pre existing facts.

But... the real answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to do a lot of work tracking down cases at this early stage, but I should have some idea of where the law stands on the issue before I tell the prof what I think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home