Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why Lost Sucks

Nothing ever really happens. They show big things on the previews, but then those big things turn out to be not so big things and then they end with another big cliffhanger and promise big things next week. Seriously, the whole second season could have happened in 3 episodes.

If you've never watched it I'll sum up the whole series in 4 sentences:

Plane crashes on island where a lot of strange stuff happens. Survivors discover "others" living nearby who prefer to kidnap and spy on them rather than make friends with them. They find an underground hatch that hints at some long abandoned energy program, and eventually the hatch blows up. The mysterious "others" finally capture 3 of the main characters at the end of season 2 and nothing else has happened.

This has taken 2 years. The reason people watch it is because of the promise that eventually things are going to happen. We always think they will because they're just so convincing about it. But they lie. Last night's episode:

The "others" put Sawyer on a table and do something to him. When he wakes up they tell him they've put a pacemaker in and if his heart rate goes above 140 it'll blow up his heart. So throughout the whole episode he's trying to keep his heart rate down. Finally at the end they tell him they were lying. So he didn't really have one.

This guy starts beating the crap out of Sawyer while asking Kate "do you love him? do you love him?" which was kind of weird but that's what he was asking and finally she screams "yes I love him!!" and the guy stops beating on him. I guess this is important because they try to set it up so we never really know who she likes. So wow, ok, now we know she loves Sawyer. But... closer to the end of the episode she tells him she didn't mean it. So she doesn't really love him. Or does she? We still don't know.

Sun was confronted by some woman... one of the others... about 2 episodes ago and she shot the woman and really it seemed like the woman was dead. So last night we see her being rushed back to the others' camp and guess what? She's not dead - just badly wounded. So they get Jack to try and save her, because he's a doctor, and he can't. She dies. So now she's dead, like we assumed she was before we found out she wasn't.

Ok so what happened last night? Sawyer was told he had a pacemaker but he didn't. Nothing there. A woman is dead but we thought she was dead anyway. We don't know who Kate likes. We thought we did for a while, but now we don't again.

So nothing really happened. And at the end? BIG previews for next week with the promise "The next 2 episodes are going to change everything!" I think they've said that before. Zzzzzzzz....

You're probably wondering why I watch a show I clearly dislike so much. Well, last night was the last straw - it's going back to DVD status. I think part of the reason I thought the first season was so good is because I watched it on DVD all at once so the weekly cliffhangers weren't as annoying. So next summer I'll finish the season on DVD and hopefully something will happen. But probably not.

I seem to be hating on a lot of tv lately. I'm not even going to start on Grey's Anatomy because I've got stuff to do today. But the only show on tv I like this year as much as I liked last year is The Office. And now that Lost is out of the picture, Thursday night's are all I've got left.

One night of tv a week = not bad.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just watch "The Office" on Thursdays and call it a week. That's the only thing I've found worthwhile on TV. Except maybe that home shopping show where they try to sell you five-pounds bags of old pennies. That I like.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Really? Five-pound bags of pennies? I think I like that too.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Simeon said...

Man! Whatever happened to quality "Island" tv shows, like Gilligan's Island or Fantacy Island? These day's they'll put anything in front of viewers!

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's important for all shows taking place on an island to actually have the word "Island" in their title. Then they're automatically good. Like "24 Island" or "Deal or No Deal Island." Those would both qulaify as good shows about islands.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo more posts! I'm happy. I agree Lost is shit lately. And Grey's is rather boring as well. I do like Men In Trees though, and reality tv(it's a love/hate relationship)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

I heard Men in Trees is good... I was thinking about watching it but I don't know if I can take on any new TV right now.

I still like reality tv I think. I like it less when I watch Survivor but more when I watch Amazing Race. Do you remember My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance from a few years ago? Ok that show seriosly crossed the good taste line, but I really liked it... in a guilty pleasure sort of way. We need more of that.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

So maybe we could save Lost and Grey's Anatomy by calling them Lost Island and Grey's Anatomy Island...

I think Fantasy Island was the best Island show ever.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home