Monday, September 04, 2006

Is it 2024 already?

Last night I dreamt it was my 50th birthday. August 26, 2024. Except I don't think I was really in the future. It was more like I just woke up this morning and realized "wow so today is my 50th birthday." I remember thinking "what happened to my 30s and 40s?"

The disturbing thing about the dream wasn't the idea of being 50 - it was that somehow I had gone from 32 to 50 so quickly. In my dream I remembered something I had read once about time seeming to go faster as you get older, and I thought yeah, I guess they're right about that.

But still, I thought, it didn't seem to take any time at all and that's just nuts. My next conclusion was that if 32 to 50 can pass by so quickly, then 50 to 70, or 70 to 90 can go by even faster (because, as I was thinking, time seems to speed up as we get older). The last thing I remember about the dream was thinking that if that was true, I've probably got about another ten seconds before I hit 90 and it's all over.

The dream wasn't scary - I think I was more disappointed than anything. But happily, I woke up this morning, still 32.

I guess this would be a good time to say something profound. And I would, if this were one of those emails that gets all sappy with lots of pictures of kittens and puppies, and lots of poems and heart-warming maxims. You know, those emails that say, "if you care about love and kittens, send this to 20 people that are important to you," but also warn you that if you don't, killer ghost Nazis will come for you in the night and tear your arms off.

Yeah, if this were one of those emails, I'd be saying something profound right now. But it's not. It's a blog. So I'll just talk about those other dreams where you realize it's a dream and then you can do anything, like fly or turn invisible. Those are the best. They don't happen often, but when they do, they're really cool.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

darren, i strongly encourage you to graph your perception of the passage of time vs increasing age... you could formulate the equation for time vs age and write some fabulous book about it and be famous...

or you know, you could just do it so that it would be pretty, or just for fun. or just because it would be a nerdy silly thing to do.

i'm glad to hear that being 32 hasn't terrorized you too much :). remember that show called the golden girls from the 80s? a few nights ago i dreamed about being a lesbian golden girl and sleeping with blanche.. now THAT was terrorizing. though, i must admit, strangely alluring...

-tams

1:41 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

tams!!! that's the best!! i'm so happy for you and blanche. but was it blance from 1985 or blanche from 2006? i'd definitely go with the 1985. actually maybe you could go with blanche from 1965... might be better.

and there is a book about perception of time and age! or at least a study... i remember one of my profs talking about it but that's all i know. i wish i could find it!

and nope, i'm not terrorized by 32. remember how terrorized i was by 29?? 32 isn't nearly as bad!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home