Saturday, July 29, 2006

Interviews and Fireworks

Ok well first things first... I got an articling position. Actually, that should read I GOT AN ARTICLING POSITION. I interviewed at the firm on Tuesday, went out for lunch with them, went on a tour of their other office on Wednesday, and they made the offer Thursday. It's what I was looking for in terms of work environment (laid back) and articling program structure (hands on).

So when they made the offer on Thursday morning I had already decided I'd take it if they offered... so I said yes right away. It's out of the city but they matched the going Vancouver salary, which I hadn't exptected, so I'm pretty happy about that too. They're full service and I'll be able to specialize in what I want... uh... when I know what that might be. Actually, I know one thing I want... I want third year to be over, and it hasn't even started.

But... that's crazy talk. I should relax and enjoy my last year of school and stop thinking about graduation. So that's what I'm going to do. Starting now.

Wait. It's time for a last exam countdown: 270 days, 20 hours and 43 minutes.

Ok. Starting now.

Now, about the fireworks. I'm going tonight, because I haven't actually gone to see them in a long time. For the non Vancouverites out there, every summer there's a competition in Vancouver where 3 countries put on displays in English Bay, which can be seen from the West End, Kits, Point Grey, and the North Shore. Maybe other places too but yeah, you get the point.

They're HUGE, and not to be missed. Except I miss them pretty much every year. Why? Because they cause millions (okay thousands) of people to crowd into the downtown and South Granville areas and some (just a few) of these people are crazy. I mean bottle-thowing car-tipping window-smashing crazy. Ok, maybe that's not totally fair... there haven't been a lot of problems in the last few years and 99 percent of the people who go don't cause any trouble. But the fireworks still bring out enough people and traffic jams to make me think going isn't worth it.

But tonight, I'm going. I think. Either tonight or Wednesday for sure. So I'll take some pictures. I have a plan to walk out to the middle of the Granville Street Bridge and set up my tripod. I know, Burrard is closer, but it'll be too crowded.

I did kind of see them last year from the balcony of the studio I was living in... but I missed most of them because of the buildings that were in the way.... and I do always feel slightly guilty about not going, because I want to see if I can get some good pictures.

I'll keep you posted on that...

3 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

Hey thanks!

10:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Way to go Darren on the job! You rock.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

Thanks Michelle - looks like you and I might live a lot closer together starting next May :)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home