Saturday, March 31, 2007

Dead Phone

I went out for dinner last night with a group of people I go to law school with (soon I'll be able to say WENT to law school with). The evening, which was to be the last night of my cell phone's life, started out great with dinner at Raga on Broadway. The food was great, the company was great, etc. etc. Dinner ended around 7 or 7:30 and a small group of us ended up at Earls for post-dinner drinks.

At some point during the night I was standing at the sink in the bathroom and I got a text message or something so I opened it up (it's a flip phone) and turned to leave. The phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the hard tile floor, which really shouldn't be that big a deal because it's not like I haven't dropped it on tile, pavement, hardwood, or any other number of hard surfaces in the two years I've had it. But I guess this was one more fall than the poor little guy could handle, because when I picked it up the screen was dead. The light was on, but there was no display on the inside or the little outside window of the flip part.

Basically, the phone was broken. I got back to the table and tried turning it off and on about 5 times, pressing a lot of buttons, shaking it a bit, but nothing worked. Then I decided, and this seemed like a really good idea at the time, that it probably just needed to be smashed into the corner of the table a couple times. One jolt had broken it, so it seemed logical that a couple more hard jolts would fix it right up.

So that's when it really broke. I guess I maybe hit it a little harder than I should have, because when I was finished the phone looked like this:



As you can see the phone was pretty banged up new damage aside. I know that crack wasn't there after the bathroom fall, but I'm not sure when the side button made its exit. Anyway, I murdered my phone. I could tell it had power because the keypad lit up, but aside from that the screen was dead.

And I have to say, I'm pretty attached to my phone. So much so that when I woke up (read came to) this morning, I was acutely aware that something important was missing from my life. The first thing I did was head on down to the Bell Mobility store on Robson with my murdered phone to figure out what to do with it.

I really didn't expect much in the way of fixing the old phone, and even before last night's developments I'd wanted a new one. But I was hoping they could at least pull the numbers off my address book (Bell doesn't use SIM cards). Anyway, turns out they couldn't, so if I had your number before, it's fairly safe to assume I don't have it now. If you could email it to me that would be great. You can text it too, but put your name in there because a text from 778-123-4567 that just says "here's my number" doesn't help me out a lot.

So back to the phone. Contrary to what might seem fair and reasonable, my warranty did not cover my attempts at repairing the phone. It didn't matter because the warranty had expired anyway. But when the Bell guy was setting up my new phone he said (and later reiterated): "The warranty on this phone does not cover smashing it against things." Noted.

I ended up with a Motorola KRZR phone, which I have to say is pretty cool. It plays MP3's, can take pictures and video with sound, and lets me back up my address book to the computer. I can also take any song I have on my computer and turn it into a ringtone, so I've been doing that today instead of studying.

Check it out...


So hopefully I can get 2 years out of this one too. Because really, 2 years is pretty good. I was just getting to the point where people were saying "your phone sucks you need a new one," so it happened at the right time.

Alright it's time to study some... uh.... stuff. Tomorrow is April. That means exam season is here, so look for more blogging than usual as I think of things to do to avoid hitting the books.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cappy said...

Admit it. Subconsciously you wanted that sucker broken so you can get a new cell phone.

PS. looking forward to your stressed out blogs

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home