Sunday, January 01, 2006

Resolutions and all that...

2005 is gone... over.... and my no drinking new years resolution.... aptly called "Dry '05" is officially over as well. Yep, a whole year with no drinking.... crazy but true. 2006 brings three new resolutions and they fall into the typical resolution categories:

1. Check my bank statements and credit cards more carefully... the "responsible" resolution.
2. Be in the best shape ever by the end of the year... the marathon in May should give me a good start on this... this is the "fitness" resolution.
3. Go to 3 concerts in 2006. That would be a lot for me because for some reason I've never really been the concert going type. So that's the "broaden my horizons" resolution.

Resolution 2 is going to be hard to maintain after the marathon because after all the training I'm going to want to veg out and eat bad food for a couple months. But hey... goals are good right... we'll see how it goes. And about that whole Dry '05 resolution... it's time to put that one to bed. So tonight I'm having a few drinks. I have to pick Darren up from the airport at 7... I've got his car... so I'm going to have a drink or two while I wait for him... he'll drop me off at home after... and then I'm going out with some friends. The question is, after not drinking for a year how many drinks will it take before I'm wasted? Being wasted isn't actually my goal, so I'll have to be pretty careful. Up to the end of 2004 I could put 'em back pretty well... but now I have a feeling I'm a bit of a lightweight.

So tonight I'll be coming to you live from Vancouver International Airport where I'll be waiting for Alaska flight 683 from Los Angeles... and having a big 'ol glass of red wine. Yeah, that's right, wine. No more beer, cider, or anything else on the bad list.... just wine and martinis from here on out. And not flavoured martinis either.... I'm talking about real ones. So come back at 7:30pm for airport observations and the first taste of wine in over a year. Well.... this all depends on a wireless connection at the airport, which I'm 98% sure of... but if I can't get online then I'll tell ya about it tomorrow.

A while back I was talking about things I take for granted, and I said I'd discuss some more of those things in future posts. The next one on my list is COMPUTERS THAT WORK PROPERLY. I hate to say it, but my computer sucks. The fan is loud, so when I'm in class taking notes it sounds like a jet engine while the laptops all around me are fairly quiet. There are things I can't do in class, like sign on to MSN. Why? Because if I'm on MSN the fan kicks into extra high gear every time someone messages me. I also have to be carefull about running too many programs at one time because it will overheat and, even though the fan is blowing so hard you can hear it from the Alaskan Panhandle, the computer freaks out and cuts power. So I'm sitting there typing notes... and then *click* it's gone. Mind numbing rage? Yes... yes indeed. There is also a sound problem. Every second time it comes out of hibernation the sound doesn't work so I have to reboot. And then there's the battery. Right now I can get just over an hour on battery power but that decreases by about five minutes a month. I've tried to get the fan and the sound problem fixed but the guy I took it to was pretty useless and my laptop came back in worse condition than I sent it out in.

I remember back when my laptop worked properly... it was such a happy time in my life. Why wasn't I more appreciative of it when it was good to me? Now we fight every day... I go to bed mad... wake up expecting a fight to start any moment and wondering where things went wrong. I think it's too late for a reconciliation.... I want out. Even though we've only been together for a year and a half, I'm going to start shopping around in the summer.

Because really, when the laptop works properly things are good. It sucks sending it out to be fixed, especially if there's a manufacturer's warranty that requires it to be shipped to Abu Dhabi for repair. I would rather just pay because I can't be without it for 6 weeks.... or 4 weeks.... or 2 weeks.... or 5 days. I hate not having a computer.

Okay well enough about that.... next up on my take for granted list is sleep... or maybe it'll be not having a hangover, depending on how I feel tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home