Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Whistler Tuesday

Ok I'm a totally wiped out tonight so if I don't make sense I can blame it on that...

Today was Whistler Tuesday but it was also Granville Island Tuesday morning. Granville Island is about 11 blocks from my place and in the 60s it was full of old factories and broken down old buildings... but then they cleaned it up and now it's a public market with a lot of little restaurants and shops.


Granville Island is on the south side of False Creek... which isn't really a creek... it's just a place where the water comes in and seperates a lot of downtown from the rest of Vancouver... so this shot was taken on the water looking towards the West End


Another shot looking under the Granville Street Bridge towards what I guess would be part of Yaletown... that little ferry there connects Granville Island with the downtown side


They left a lot of the old buildings standing when they cleaned up Granville Island... this is one of the streets


There are a lot of art design and supply stores, art sellers, a design school... stuff like that. So yeah, the place has an interesting feel... and lots of old buildings. And fish. And expensive restaurants. And mimes...


We left Granville Island and headed west towards Vanier Park... these apartments are along the way and I've always liked them... I mean, their back yard is water. So it doesn't need to be mowed.


We didn't have time to go to any of the museums in Vanier Park but we walked through the park before going back up to my place. I had to get a pic of the awesome landscaping that places palm trees in front of a totem pole. Strange...

So after that we went back to my place, packed some stuff, and headed up to Whistler. We made it in under 2 hours, which isn't bad seeing the Sea to Sky Highway is getting all those upgrades for the Olympics. When we got to Whistler we made the discovery...


... that ski season is definitely over. I don't know about the ski lifts closer to the top, because it looks like there's still a lot of snow up there, but the air is warm at village level and this is the only snow we saw down here.


The village was pretty quiet, as you can probably tell from this pic. There were a few restaurants that were really busy but aside from that there weren't too many people out. Maybe it's that quiet time between summer and winter where not a lot is going on or maybe it was just because it was Tuesday evening... either way it seemed kind of dead.


The village is actually pretty cool.... there's a movie theatre, lots of restaurants and clothing stores, souvenir stuff, a supermarket...


I took this from a pedestrian bridge crossing a street... I just liked the mountain in the background.


On our way back to the hotel we met these people who invited us into their room for some drinks. They were a lot of fun but I didn't get their names... Roby had a cognac and a beer... ice water for me...

That's it so far... I badly need sleep... tomorrow we're heading to Kamloops via Cache Creek... so we're taking that little road through the mountains that is apparently really... um... scary. So hopefully tomorrow night I can let you know how that went... but if there's no internet at the hotel I'll have to do it Thursday from Ali's place...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home