Monday, February 06, 2006

Um... why is it so dry out there?

I'm not sure what this means but yesterday it didn't rain. And it doesn't look like it's going to rain today either. The heavy grey rain clouds have been replaced by white fluffy clouds which float between patches of an empty blue void. And there's an unfamiliar yellow orb up there making everything really bright. Strange, but you know what? I like it. The world's a happier place, people are smiling, I hate my neighbours a little bit less, and I can almost bring myself to start studying. Almost. A couple more days of this and I'll be able to do anything. Well, except get a summer job. I don't seem to be capable of that...

Don't get me wrong about the rain though - As someone born and raised in the Vancouver area I'm pretty used to it. Generally it's not even on my radar until long past the point where non-Vancouverites have started complaining that it's never going to stop. But something happened when I went to Vegas a couple weeks ago: I remembered the sun. The plane, shortly after takeoff, lifted above the cloud cover and there was nothing but blue sky and sun above. The cabin lit up and I looked around, realizing that I hadn't been anywhere flooded with sunlight in a very very long time. It was great, and it lasted the whole weekend while I was in Vegas.

Then I came home. Happy happy happy blue sky until we started our descent into Vancouver and then the grey came back... and the rain. So now, a couple weeks later, I'm pretty happy to see the sun again. It's supposed to last for a while, which is good because we deserve about eight months of no rain now... but in Vancouver it would only need to be sunny for about two weeks before you'd start to hear people saying "we could use some rain."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home